Monday, November 5, 2018

OTT Day #4- July 16, 2018- Lumpy Bumpy: Paisley to Fremont Point via Winter Rim

This morning, our group would have slightly different starts. Deann and Bill needed to pick up their resupply box and Karey decided to join them and avoid the 10-mile gravel climb up to Harvey Pass and a nearby trailhead. This was a treat for us as well since they were also able to pick me up replacement electrolytes, sunscreen, and... Desitin (if you know, you know.) And, with limited water the next couple of days, they also brought water to our meeting spot. This gravel road is not the proper OTT route, but we knew that we'd be getting a late start and we didn't want to feel rushed later in the day.
As planned, Aliza and I left the hot spring and rode up a nicely graded gravel road up, up, up to where the trail met the road. With some bag putting on and gear adjustment, we entered the trail. Before too long, we got our first view from Winter Rim. It is amazing. You can almost imagine the ancient lake that once took over this expanse. From here, we did have to take an offshoot trail to Currier Springs, our last water for the next 20 or so miles.
This trail is rocky- like, a 15 mile, mostly exposed rock garden, with a few breaks. I was very happy to have flat pedals and full suspension. Loaded with all of our gear, plus extra water, the flat terrain wasn't as easy going as you would think. Oh but the views. I had no idea that Eastern Oregon was so... big?


We also had another thunderstorm break, which ate up a little ride time. Trying to find a hideout in the middle of an old wildfire burn... fun. Thank you, Karey for the trail report in this video.

We finally made it to Fremont Point and the trailhead, near the shelter. The shelter rents out months in advance, but we were happy to camp at the trailhead. Fun fact about most of the trailheads in the Fremont National Forest is that they have nice vault toilets. Magically, they don't smell and it's nice to not have to dig a hole after your morning coffee. Most of the trailheads also have at least one picnic table, making them great places to disperse camp. The view from our camp spot was unreal. Looking over Summer Lake and as far as the eyes can reach of eastern Oregon is a fantastic way to spend the evening. With my tent set up in an open area and a warm evening, I did without the tent fly and slept under the stars following a great sunset. Here's where we went and how long it took and stuff.
Again, I was feeling good and actually had fun riding through the rocks that day. I reflected on the funny fact that I willingly rode my bike 10 miles uphill on a mountain bike. I was reeling in the surprise that my body was still up for this. I kept wondering when I'd have my bad day, my breaking point, my meltdown....






No comments:

Post a Comment

2109 Summary- The Ski Report

OK, so it's been a spell since I posted. I suppose my original idea of blogging about all adventures was taken over by Instagram Stories...